Monday 19 April 2010

Dear Shawn Levy, Why?

Alright, let me preface this with these facts:
Besides the Night At The Museum sequel, Shawn Levy is pure hack, and even then he did nothing special, he just had a better script than usual and a capable group of actors doing a sturdier job than in the original.
This was a free ticket.
This free ticket was for March 30th, but was pushed back 19 days because, well...
Because Date Night, starring Steve Carell as Steve Carell and Tina Fey as Tina Fey, with no straight character to bounce their insane overused and dull characteristics off of, is a big pile of shit. I mean, this is stuff that you don't just leave as soon as you smell, you call the government, have it closed down, rinsed out, checked for biological weaponry and then demolish and leave a gaping hole where the bathroom was once situated to avoid a further outbreak of shit.
There are a few things I never do in a cinema. Have my phone on and constantly check the time. Walk out of a film before the credits. Make noise by rustling food and fidgeting in my chair.

I try to, at the very least, make the experience pleasurable enough for the audience even if I hate it, I'll do my best not to ruin anyone else's time.
I broke these rules. By minute 15 I had turned on my phone, wondering why we hadn't seen a reel change yet, it felt like 30 minutes in. I then decided to give it 30 mins, which I pussied out on and gave it 1 hour, perfectly after James Franco, Mila Kunis and Mark Ruffalo were wasted on the film, Mark Wahlberg appeared, and I'm guessing comes back by the end because he's obviously a spy and is in the centre of the film's "comical" mistaken identity issue, only raised when the two loving married people break from their schedules, nice message, stuck in a rut? Better than doing something different each night and then getting in "hysterical" (Read shit, cheap, easy" situations and having guns aimed at you, without reacting like it's an uncommon thing.

I can't bare to even talk much about this dreck, I mean, there's talent here, not in the script or on the director's chair making lots of money for his hack self, but the cast is amazing, I mean, Taraji P. Henson, Common, Fichtner, Liotta! Why the fuck are they in this mess? Sure, there's some 'phat' cash, but jesus, have some fucking respect.
This is the reason I hate cinema, this kind of thing comes out constantly, is never good, NEVER good, wastes talent, time, money, and makes lots of money cos idiots love this shit. Why can't Hollywood go and die? Seriously, Fox, who when I saw their logo before it, was already raring to get to the door, is producing nothing but shit, rarely has, but there are gems, people loved Fight Club, and the Alien and Aliens flicks, why can't they be a bit more daring. Why can't any studio be more daring? Sure there's been a recession, but just because you're afraid to make something different and possibly challenging to an audience, don't pussy out and jump to the easy cash, dar to dream you cunts, dare to fucking dream.

This film is the nail in the coffin that makes me question cinema nowadays, it's safe to say I'm ready to turn my back on the art until we see some improvement in the constant quantity vastly larger than quality issue.
Go suck a fuck Hollywood.

Oh yeah, there was a film involved.
1/10

No comments:

Post a Comment